Friday 8 October 2010

18

The Cooperative of Very Special Fabrics

It's decided, I'm moving to Sweden. If I needed a more compelling reason than a potential sighting of mine obsession, look no further than the fabric. The fabric. The Fabric. THE FABRIC.

Pink elephants on brown interlock

I know. It's more than ridiculous that I bought fabric last week when the fabric closet over-runneth. But these jersey prints were irresistible.

Orange clouds interlock

Obviously, I'm not even able to contemplate what sort of use I will put them too. I'm just happy having them folded on the couch where I can smile at them at regular intervals.

Pink clouds interlock

Incidently, a couple of days after they arrived I saw the cloud print featured on Bambino Goodies so I know I'm in good company in liking them.

The only drawback about Scandanavian fabric is the cost. It generally runs at a fairly eye-watering (to me anyway!) £15 to £18 a metre. Which has given me a thought.... I've been wondering if there are others who would consider joining a Co-op of Very Special Fabrics. As a group, we could buy bolts of Very Special Fabric at wholesale prices, enjoy the lower per unit cost and combined shipping, and divide the spoils once it's in the UK. If there is remaining yardage, I could then sell to other discerning fabric lovers outwith the Co-op. Everybody wins.

I'm not necessarily thinking about only Scandinavian fabric, although there are VAT advantages of staying within the EU (with German, Finnish and Dutch fabric also being delectable). I'm talking about Very Special Fabric from around the world (Japanese fabric anyone?!). I'm getting ahead of myself, true, but how much fun would it be to see the different creations a dozen people made from one bolt?!

Who's in? Who's interested? Who's a buzz-kill?

18 comments:

  1. I'm in and thank you for bowing down to my exceptional taste ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in! (depending on the actual amount of cash required as I'm currently a broke unemployed type person)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I wish, but the shipping would probably kill all my savings. I can't wait to see the things you luckies get, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in too. Was talking about something similar just the other day! Have no idea how it would work but I'm liking the sound of the end result!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in. I think it's a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so need to shift to the UK so that I can be in on your co-op. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Memememememememememmemememememe!! Ahem, me!! Please miss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to join, but... how much fabric are we talking about? Do I need to buy a new cabinet? Besides, is it possible to ship it to Spain?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I am so in for this! Loving the idea of new European fabric. I can get wholesale prices on Japanese Kokka fabric (know the importer here in Hong Kong) though shipping may take a while and add a bit to the cost - let me know if you'd like me to get some prices if enough people are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well ,I definitelly don't need more fabric, but I can't resist getting all those nice fabrics soooo... I'm IN, please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi A - count me in too please!! By the way we received the lego hoodie #2 loves it and is refusing to take it off. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. im in too!!! :-)

    just realised today, i hadnt sent you Soph's coat fabric.. how AWFUL am I?!

    I will post 1st thing monday! :-)

    lOVE LOVE LOVE the fabrics too, and im DESP for more jersey deliciousness!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh yes, I can get some for Daniel to send to Santa for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I spent such a long time ob-ses-sing about these fabrics...have you seen the elephants and hippos from another site, and they have velours too! I would love to say I am interested, but I would be able to get here as cheaply as I could get it posted from the uk...I know I've checked! But maybe....?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh those pink elephants are to die for. OF COURSE you had to buy them! Are you talking about a co-op for only people in the UK or Europe? I am in the USA and I'm interested although I don't know how much I could afford! I looove European fabric, and Japanese too.

    ReplyDelete