Friday 16 October 2009

13

From completely normal to completely bizarre


Buoyed by your enthusiastic comments on my tunic dress, I had a go making a couple of variations. This bum-skimming tunic has long sleeves:


Because of the length, it didn't really suit ties in the back so I made it one size smaller to be more fitted. And then I went a bit mental:


Note the slightly embarrassed smile. Sure, sure... this fabric is amazing and I love it heaps. But on an adult, hmmm. I think with the long sleeves it's just too much buildings and colours. It's about two inches shorter than yesterday's dress, so it could be worn as a minidress:


I made very long purple ties that can make it all the way around the back and get tied at the front. What should I do with this creation? Should I chop the sleeves off? Throw it in the 'to be re-cycled pile'? Or poke my eyes out?

13 comments:

  1. ummm tough one I really like the material but you are right - doesn't quite work for an adults dress! Love the shape though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about make is sleeveless? Then wear it with a sweater? It is a pretty fabric. You soooo need to make a pattern for this tunic dress. Seriously. I want the pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about cutting the sleeves short(er?) I love it, but it might be a bit busy for an adult... but why should kids have all the fun fabric

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would work if it was sleeveless. Wearing it with plain leggings (and if the weather is cold a plain cardi).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fashiony sort but I would say it would look better with short sleeves.. over jeans/leggings....with a black (or red) belt, as that liliac dosen't really work I don't think.. otherwise I think its absoloutly fantabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep short sleeves and maybe shorter tunic length would be better and a black belt/sash.

    i like the first one lots too but would prefer it with 3/4 length sleeves - fussy me?

    i really like them love the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking more a skirt than any sort of tunic/dress. Can imagine it being an A line skirt. A plain top would then tone it down a bit maybe??

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about marketing them as uniforms for a local day nursery!

    I'd also go for short sleeves, you'll probably find once summer comes around you'll realise its great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote for sleeveless and keeping it for next summer. You can get away with bright and fun on really nice days.

    I also like sleeveless with a sweater. That would tone it down a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone for your advice! I'll chop off the sleeves tonight and see if it's an improvement :) And then maybe shorten it. And then maybe chop it for a skirt.

    And yes, I'm hoping to have this as a pattern soon!

    @vV: three quarter length sleeves are next on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was also going to say I've seen an A-Line skirt in a very similar print and it was totally Rocking! So that would get my vote
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've cetainly got the legs for that mini dress so who cares?!
    Pop on over to my blog; there's an award waiting for you :O)

    ReplyDelete